Monday, September 5, 2011

And so it begins...Blog 1/6

I thought to myself about 2 weeks ago that I really wanted to hit this semester with a bang - - - -and a whole new outlook on my attitude towards motivation, my body and in turn, EXERCISE!

I walk briskly on the treadmill today and I think back to four years ago where I was sporadic in my approach to exercise and remember that throughout high school I didn't attend a gym but I did play netball, although I was never really good.

I focus my thoughts on why I am making this change. I remember I want to focus more during my day, increase fitness and (hopefully) lose a couple of kg here or there. As I push and pull on the cross trainer I feel the stress falling off my shoulders and my energy increasing and I have to remind myself that I will be thankful for all this hard work later.

I strongly believe in the benefits of exercise and can pass these onto future clients. It is inspirational and motivating. I believe it gives me amazing structure to my day and as a result I am able to focus better while studying. Finally, I get to create goals to aim for.

“It’s like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, bicycling instead of driving. Practicing mindfulness in this way means noticing the sensations of walking when we walk, noticing the taste of our food when we eat, and noticing the clouds and the trees as we pass them” (Siegel, 2010, p. 43).

What will hinder me in doing this activity mindfully?
My energy is now fading on the treadmill and I really need to push myself in the right direction. I think about the appointment I have tomorrow afternoon which means I won’t be able to go to the gym when I wanted. Perhaps I will go for a run in the morning, hopefully the weather will hold out.

Siegel, R. (2010). The mindfulness solution: everyday practices for everyday problems. New York: The Guildford Press.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Luc ... The Maori word for walk is 'hikoi' and the word 'oma' means to run ;-)

    ReplyDelete